Re: Reduced class structure: now CSP/DSP Civic question

To: Michael King <mapco@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Reduced class structure: now CSP/DSP Civic question
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:34:49 -0700
Michael King wrote:

>    I agree with your statement of pitting quite a bit lower horsepower
> models with higher hp models of the same car. I do have a question about
> the 92-95 Honda Civic classing in Street Prepared. Why are all the 92-95
> Civics grouped together? The Civic DX, CX, and others had at least 28
> horsepower less than it's flagship Si. Yet, all Civics are grouped
> together. How can this be? I believe the much lower hp Civics should be
> in DSP or even the new ESP. They're just way outclassed in CSP. Ok, I'm
> writing a letter. Any thoughts on this subject? Brett?

        I'm not entirely fluent on the vagaries of Civics. But the reason why
alot of cars are classed together in SP is the update/backdate
allowances. For the Civic, they're probably all basically a 1500cc (or
is it 1600cc?) motor, although some may be noticeably more powerful than
another. But it still allows for someone with a base model Civic to drop
in an Si motor for SP. That's a big, and possibly the biggest, driver
for the update/backdate allowance for SP.

        Granted, the 1300cc and 1500cc CRX's have proven themselves much
different as far as SP cars go (times that is). It still seems silly to
me to split the two if many other cars get even more radical allowances
for update/backdate. Heck, the RX-3 gets to pull parts off the 808 mizer
which didn't even have the same engine -type- as the RX. Or the 911
getting to update/backdate over a 30 year period. Some cars get better
brakes... er, breaks, than others... Oh well, that's the way the crank
turns I guess...

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/