Re: Reduced class structure: now CSP/DSP Civic question

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Subject: Re: Reduced class structure: now CSP/DSP Civic question
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:08:18 -0700
Justin Hughes wrote:

> > But it still allows for someone with a base model Civic to drop
> > in an Si motor for SP. That's a big, and possibly the biggest, driver
> > for the update/backdate allowance for SP.
>
> Thanks for saying it for me. :)  Though I'm also not fluent in Civics or SP
> rules (haven't ventured there yet), for the most part it's possible to take
> the best parts from any Civic, plus other SP legal upgrades, and put them
> together into a quite competitive package.  For example, the BMW 2002 and
> 2002tii run in CSP against M3s (non-Lightweights - no need to rehash that
> thread!)  The '02 is out powered, but I've seen a well prepared '02 hang
> right in there with the M cars.  All of these also run in CSP against the
> Civic, but with a similarly prepared car and by capitalizing on whatever
> inherent advantages the Civic has over other cars in its class you could
> give the Ms a run for their money, too.

        No Doubt. The M's have a distinct advantage on Torque and HP, but all
of that "ground hugging weight", as Bob likes to call it, can be a
disadvantage too. The 2002 is definitely a lighter car. However, I have
no idea how it would do if fully prepped to SP allowances. But for sure,
you need ALOT of rubber, alot of suspension, and as many ponies as you
can muster (legally). Sadly, that probably means dumping the MFI in
favor of a more modern system.

>     - Justin, hoping the M pilots don't lynch me for that statement :)

        Nah, the '02 probably has has a decent chance in CSP. But it'll take
some $$ to get it there...

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/