Re: The 'New' G Stock?

To: "Joe Goeke" <buttheat@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: The 'New' G Stock?
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:54:18 -0700

Holy Moly!  I guess I hit a nerve.  See below:

>This is all quite humorous (no insults implied).

None taken

>OK two things:
>1) Only if they run in or near the same run group.  This year it shouldn't
>be to bad, for they run one group off each other on different courses.
>Hopefully the weather won't mess up the results, as it did last year (GS ran
>in somewhat wet/dirty first day).
>2) You really don't class cars based one event do you?  The entire year
>should be used, comparing established fast driver data, from not only the
>class in question, but classes with simular cars to the front runners (ie DS
>for the Type R).

Of course cas aren't classed based on one event.  But it is necessary to look
very hard at Nationals because 100% of the Nations top drivers are there.  It
isn't the only factor but it is one none the less.

>The timing WAS the main issue, and who wouldn't "precieve" a car as a threat
>that had "ringer" writen all over it.
>How is a two car class better than the one before which was about a 10 car
>class, especially when one of the top cars looks like a DS car???  Seem real
>inconsistant and a mish mash to me.  With this 'new GS' thinking, we'll have
>other classes with mismatch lineups, like BMW 328's and Miata's... Oh, yah,
>that's already there ;-).

This is where you lose me.  The Type R didn't/doesn't have ringer written all
over it.  For 2 years now, the SEB hasn't seen it that way.  GS looked like a
pretty solid success after you guys did well in the Pros and after a wide
variety of cars jockeyed for the top spot at the 98 Nationals.

>Where do you get this stuff.  This is cracking me up (once, again no insult
>intended).  The Z3 2.8 coupe has never "dominated" any event.  Check the
>data.  It won San Diego based on a decent second day showing (it did not
>lead the first day).  Do you call 0.365 and 0.072 a dominate win?  Also,
>look at the car.  It has about the same power, torque, and weight as the
>rest of the AS cars.  Why would you even start to compare this to the GS
>situation.  At the same event, the Type R won GS over the next type of car
>by about 1.5 seconds!  The Once again, predictable drivers in each class and
>cars.

This happened early in the season when Mark Sipe blew the field away at an early
event on the east coast.  I know GH and Rob Falkner were both there, maybe even
Carter Thompson.  Saw a few top drivers get Z3 Coupes after that.  Coincidence?
Not to me.  Maybe to you.

>Once again, see above on using only nationals to gauge car performance.  99
>nationals, especially when you don't consider the details (which you failed
>to mention, or do not know about the 98 GS nationals).
>---JCG

Actually, I am pretty informed about the details.  I worked that heat in T&S as
well as having a 'vested' interest in how things shook out (SCAC).  Those
'details' you are referring to, care to mention them?

AB