RE: was New GS, now Class killerz

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: was New GS, now Class killerz
From: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:05:57 -0500
        My response to this took a while because I decided it might be nice
if someone based a response on real facts once in a while and not just thier
own speculation. All numbers for this comparison have come from
Mazda,Toyota, Motor Trend and Road and Track directly.

> with all this talk about GS and type r's I just have One question, instead
>
> of messing with a class where anyone of 3-4 cars can win lets work on the
> classes where you must drive one car or you are out, like BS or DS or CS,
>
> here is my cure.
>
> current BS as is now  (Only 1.8 miata) move the 2litre Mr2 to BS
        [Moore, John]
         1) The 2.0 litre MR2 is the Turbo model that runs in AS. The 2.2 is
the CS car.
        2) The MR2 NA weighs a full 400 to 800( 2697 to 2888) pounds more
than a comparably equiped Miata (2299)
        3) 99 Miata has 140 HP and a Torsen Differential, 91-92 MR2 NA and
the 93-95 MR2 NA in CA, MA and NY have 130 and 93-95 47 state models have
135 and none have limited Slip.
        4) The 99 base model miata has a 0-60 time of 7.9 secs, the 10
anniversary edition has 0-60 in 7.5 secs, the fastest MR2 0-60 is the
47-state 93-95 NA with a time of 8.6.
        5) Braking 60-0 on the 99 miata is 131 ft, on the MR2 is 136.
        6) Lateral Acceleration in g's on the 99 miata and the MR2 is
identical at .91 g.
        7) Motor Trend 600 ft slalom numbers show 99 miata at 67 MPH, and
the 93 MR2 at 62.5 MPH.

        So to sum this up, the 99 miata has less weight, more power, a
limited slip diff, a .7 to 1.1 0-60 advantage, better braking and faster
slalom times than the MR2. Now tell me how the MR2 fits in BS?

        Look at the numbers on the 1.6 miata and you begin to see a car that
really fits in with the MR2. Similar power, similar wieghts, similar 0-60
and 60-0 times, and similar handling capabilities. I'm happy that the 1.6
miata is coming to CS for Y2K, but the MR2 does not belong in BS.

         ... well does this make sense?

        John Moore
        1993 Toyota MR2 NA (CS, where it should be)