RE: Anyone rent a car for autocross?

To: "'Eric Linnhoff'" <eric10mm@qni.com>,
Subject: RE: Anyone rent a car for autocross?
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:02:17 -0400
A funny thing that happened during my teenage years was the result of this
technique. A friend of 16 had just gotten his license and was driving his
Dad's '70 Pontiac Bonneville with some big block ( 455? ) He pulled up in
front of a group of us, revved it to some ridiculously high RPM in neutral,
dropped it into gear and snapped the u joints right off the driveshaft. I
don't know what was louder; the sound of the driveshaft slamming into the
macadam, our laughter, or his dad's cursing that night. Needless to say I do
not practice the "Linnhoff launch" and ask that you think twice before
trying it.

Regards,
Alan Pozner

> At the strip, the fastest launch technique I found
> >was floor it to the rev limiter in neutral, then jam it in drive on the
> >first yellow.  You'll get maybe one and a quarter revolutions of wheel
slip
> >before it bogs.  I think this should be known as the "Linhoff launch".
:)