Re: Anyone rent a car for autocross?

To: "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone rent a car for autocross?
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:26:58 -0700
At the strip, the fastest launch technique I found
>was floor it to the rev limiter in neutral, then jam it in drive on the
>first yellow.  You'll get maybe one and a quarter revolutions of wheel slip
>before it bogs.  I think this should be known as the "Linhoff launch".  :)
>Very inconsistent r.t. this way, but about 0.7 sec faster e.t. than a
>power-brake launch.
==========================
OUCH!!!!

That's the sound that your wallet would make if it was an older american car
with an automatic tranny.

We used to call those "dry hops" when you revved it up in Neutral and then
dropped it into Drive.  It was a costly practice and I personally went
through a couple of GM Turbo 350 trannies that way in an old Cutlass.  The
good news (except for R.T. purposes) is that today's auto trannies have a
RPM switch that won't allow it to engage the Drive gears if it's revved in
Neutral and then dropped into Drive no matter how high you rev it.

All things considered, I'd still choose the Neon and just power brake it.
Better yet, use the hand brake to hold the car and mash the gas pedal.  The
hand brake "should" hold the car.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

...you Yankees are so silly
about matters of the heart
don't you know that women
are the only works of art?
Don Henley  "Driving with your eyes closed"