RE: Anyone rent a car for autocross?

To: AlanP@identicard.com
Subject: RE: Anyone rent a car for autocross?
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:26:49 CDT
Alan Pozner writes:

> A funny thing that happened during my teenage years was the result of this
> technique. A friend of 16 had just gotten his license and was driving his
> Dad's '70 Pontiac Bonneville with some big block ( 455? ) He pulled up in
> front of a group of us, revved it to some ridiculously high RPM in neutral,
> dropped it into gear and snapped the u joints right off the driveshaft.
> I don't know what was louder; the sound of the driveshaft slamming into the
> macadam, our laughter, or his dad's cursing that night.

That is hilarious!

This reminds me of the '68 Karrmann Ghia my parents had when I was in high
school.  It had a four-speed manual tranny with the "automatic" electric
clutch that engaged when you grabbed the stick.  This car was such a dog,
I asked my dad what would happen if you revved it up and let go in first.
I think he was remarkably kind when all he said was "If you had a
brain, you'd be dangerous!"

> Needless to say I do not practice the "Linnhoff launch" and ask that you
> think twice before trying it.

Mothers, don't let your babies grow up and buy rental cars.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS