Re: Anyone rent a car for autocross?

To: eric10mm@qni.com
Subject: Re: Anyone rent a car for autocross?
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 9:29:38 CDT
Eric Linhoff wrote:

> Better yet, use the hand brake to hold the car and mash the gas pedal.  The
> hand brake "should" hold the car.

DOH!  This is the only technique I didn't try, except in the Century,
which was useless because the parking brake was a PEDAL ON THE FLOOR
with no hand release!  What a dinosaur!  I'll bet it would have worked
pretty well on the NEON, but since it was a rental, I didn't sweat too much
about making a few "Linhoff launches".  Turns out to be a good name, too,
seeing as how by your own admission you sacrificed at least two trannies
to the God of speed!  I had a feeling!

I have to confess, I did chicken out eventually and stop launching that way.
Because r.t. was so variable, I went to the power brake for the brackets.
But I didn't add enough time to my dial-in to compensate, and got eliminated
in the first round.  Bummer.  I did have the pleasure of racing against
Len Ayala in his turbo'd neon.  What a rush, he left me like I was standing
still, running mid 12's vs. my high 18's.  I had the best seat in the house.
I also ran against a tube-framed "neon" with a V8 that ran an 11.035.
I had this guy psyched-out big-time, because he ran a pathetic 14.425 with
a 2.314 r.t. first time up.  Yep, you can call me "the intimidator".  ;^)

Now lets see, autocross content - ummm, yeah, Topeka, wish I were going.
I would get a kick out of dicing with TLS for DFL!  :^)
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS