Re: STU....Long ramblings

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STU....Long ramblings
From: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:04:31 -0400
>I've just looked at both the ST rules (including STR and STU) posted on
>http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/street_touring_rules.
><http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/street_touring_rules>
>and the STU proposal posted by Dennis Grant on
>http://www.wincom.net/trog/stu/rules.html.
><http://www.wincom.net/trog/stu/rules.html>   With Dennis's version they
>have got rid of the 'sports car based' exclusion.  The line just reads 'All
>four-plus passenger, front engine, production-based sedans/coupes'.  By my
>reading that opens it up to the MGB GT, Triumph GT6, Porsche 924/944/968
etc
>etc.
>
>Also, Dennis's rules have a capacity limit of 4.0 Liters for pushrod
engines
>so the Rover/Buick V8 is back in.  Another thing for the those sick and
>twisted people (I like you all!)wanting to build super Beetles think about
>this.  The Porsche 914/916 was sold in the rest of the world as a VW NOT as
>a Porsche.  Therefore the 916 that used the six cyl 911 engine is
>technically a VW engine as well.  QED bung a 911 motor in a Beetle and away
>you go.

About the Porsche-engined Bug......  Look at the rules you stated above,
front engine.  Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.  Now, for something really
sick and twisted.....  Take a Mazda 323 GTX,  get an RX7 TT engine, bada
boom bada bing bada bang!  Or for the sadomasochists out there, an innocent
Ford Fiesta with an RX7 TT engine.  What about a 3.0L SHO V6 in a mundane
Ford Escort?  I wonder if the late-SHO's 3.4L V8 would fit?  How about a
supercharged 3.8L V6 in a Pinto for the pyrotechnically challenged?  Now for
the non-Ford fans out there.....  a Buick GNX engine in a 'Vette, Chevette
that is, or it's twin the Pontiac T1000.  For the import crowd,  a Datsun
510 with a 300ZX TT engine.  Another Datsun 510 with an SR20DET engine (a
turbocharged Sentra SE-R engine).  A Toyota Corolla GT-S (rear-drive
version) with a Supra TT engine shoehorned in.  A 70's model Civic with an
NSX V6?  But my favorite would be an old Triumph Herald with the Spit 1500
rear end, GT6 front clip, a 4.0L Rover PI V8, raid TVR's parts bins for the
turbo setup (why reinvent the wheel), and a five-speed 'box from the TR8.
This may be the ultimate combo, with an estimated weight of 1600lbs (maybe
lighter, rust donchaknow) and hp in the 350 to 400 range easy.

BTW, anyone have a Herald for sale? ;-)

Ron - Dalton, Ga
84 300ZX Turbo
IZCC# 4779   TLS#30