Re: My feeling on STU

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My feeling on STU
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:51:20 -0400
GSMnow@aol.com wrote:

I'm going to answer a number of STU related messages from last night in one post
here so as to save some space.

> I find it interesting that no one with comments on STU have actually
> run STU.

Well, that's not _entirely_ true. There have been comments from other '99 STU
competitors.

I went down the whole STU path when I started researching the rules so as to
convert my car to STU - best to have all one's ducks in a row _before_ spending
any money - and found the existing rules confusing and vague.

Have you joined the STU mailing list yet?

> Looking over the rules I did see the link back to the SP
> open rim rule, but it seemed like a mistake as they were trying to
> reference that the wheels could stick out

Well, the SP open wheel rule is part of both the existing STU rules and the
proposed changes. I'll be running either 255 40R17 on a 9", or perhaps 275 40R17
on a 10" myself.

> As it turns out the tires dies

?? Which tires are you running?

> The rules as printed in the SIIRB are pretty good, but it does need
> clarifications.

> Rather than a whole sale change of the rules I would like just a clean > up of
what they have and let it evlove with who actually runs it.

Well, this is exactly what the proposal in front of the SEB is. 80% of it is
just clarifications to the existing rules. All that has been added is the
remainder of the SP rules (seats, steering wheels, roll bars, and fuel cells)
and we made brakes open.

> For one I think Front drive 2 seaters based on a legal coupe chassis
> should be allowed.

The problem here is weight/size. Two seaters are typically much smaller,
shorter, and lighter than four seaters, and that adds up to a tremendous
advantage - especially when you talk Miata and CRX. The DullSoul is actually
pretty heavy for its size, but it is the exception.

Having raced against 1500lb, 160HP CSP CRXen in Pro2 this year in my 3000lb,
280HP ESP Talon, I have firsthand experience that that's just not a fair fight.
Let that CRX have an LSD and a turbo, and you've got a runaway overdog. STU
would become an all CRX/Miata class.

Weight and size count for far more than HP on an autocross course.

Now it has been pointed out that there are small, lightweight 4 seaters out
there too, and I guess those of us with heavier cars are going to have to live
with that. But there's no reason to make the situation any worse than it is by
letting the the 2 seaters in. By requiring 4 seats, the average weight of the
class goes way up.

If enough 2 seaters are out there that want to play by STU rules, they need to
write a letter and get "Street Sports Unlimited" (STU for 2 seaters) created.
I'll even support it.

DG