Re: My feeling on STU

To: schenker@mediaone.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My feeling on STU
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 01:07:14 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/99 6:16:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
schenker@mediaone.net writes:

<< > The supercharged Miatas should also be allowed, but
 > they would probably become the overdogs, and in stock and SP trim they are
 > competitive, why do they need another place to play?

 This brings up a point I've wanted to ask - and please excuse my ignorance
 if this has been addressed before - I was out of it, in the cyber sense of
 things, for a couple of weeks w/ new system woes. To wit:  why NOT have a
 place for supercharged & turboized Miatiae?  Someday I'd like to put some
 forced induction onto my baby (when the warrenty runs out - I may drive and
 ski fast and be an actor, but there are some things I'm conservative about
 :)  )  and run Autox w/ it.

 And please don't tell me about E Mod.  Just found out that's where I'd be w/
 such a car; I have no intention of turning my daily driver into a "Race"
 car!  (But that WOULD be cool, wouldn't it?!)

 Not enough of these types of cars out there to make it worth it?

 If not, how about it?

 Thanks,

 Bill Schenker
 Cal Club #36 csp '99 Miata - a Newbie and loving it! >>

I know exactly how you feel. I was getting very bored running DSP in my car,
I thought it handled great but just could not get out of it's own way. At
2800 pounds and 140 hp, you can see why. (Stock is only 105 hp) 4 years ago I
put the turbo on it for fun. I ran E-Mod and locally had a blast. I just
compared my times with other drivers on raw time. I figured I should run with
ESP and SS cars. I found my car handled pretty bad once I had power. Revamped
the whole suspension, and now have it running solid ahead of ESP, but our top
SS guys, who tok trophies at Nat's are still ahead of me.

We had a Miata with the Jackson blower kit run several events and he did not
catch me. He was not on good race ruber. I ran one event on my old crappy
streets, and sure enough he got me by about 1/4 second. His car is a total
daily driver with just Eibach lowering springs and basic bolt ons. We also
had a Vortech blown 5.0 Camaro, and Paxton blown 5.0 Mustangs, and a blown
4.6 Mustang quad cam Cobra. In each case I was able to run with all of them
for a fun competitive day. The Mustangs were even on true race rbber, I think
one was Comp T/A R-1's in a much larger size than I run.

Now I ran STU all this year, and NONE of those cars are allowed. This year I
had a couple Integras with blowers (Hi Mark) and since they are pretty new to
it, I feel they will be serious compatition when they get a handle on it.
This is why I think the Del Sol should be allowed for sure. The Miata's
"problem" is that it handles so well, it turns incredible times as is. With
serious power it could be incredible fast. I would welcome the challenge, but
others don't even want to hear about it. I look at the top CSP cars, and they
can beat me. STU would require them to run a catalytic convertor and liciense
plates, but with open cams and some boost, there will be more power, but less
liear response and more weight. Keep the 7 inch wide rim limit and 225 tires
and it does cramp it a tiny bit. But at 2200 pounds vs my 2650 I have to make
the most of my low tech 2400cc 2 valve motor to keep up with a more modern
1800 twin cam.

If it weere up to me, I would say let it run STU and if I get beat at least I
will have some competition to chase. Losing in a close fight is alot more fun
than ruing alone.

Gary M.