My feeling on STU

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: My feeling on STU
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:08:50 EDT
I find it interesting that no one with comments on STU have actually run STU.
I ran it for this whole season locally, and did the Evansville tour in STU
also. My car is probably a bit beyond the spirit of the rules but does fit
the book pretty well. Since much of my engine performance equipment is hand
made it did not fit the CARB aproved, so I took it in for the Illinois IM-240
emissions test and it passed with a fast past the first time on the rollers.
This is the full dyno loaded test simulating a 4 minute drive including a run
onto the expressway. Looking over the rules I did see the link back to the SP
open rim rule, but it seemed like a mistake as they were trying to reference
that the wheels could stick out so I chose to run my 14 x 7 rims even though
I have 15 x 8's for the car with fair tires on them. The way I looked at it
the rules allowing open tire and rim size was vague and the 7 inch limit
would be a great equalizer for competition.

Through this season it has proved to be the limit as I have eaten up 2 sets
of tires in 14 events and my times are stuck at 1 second behind Super Stock.
My worst showing was of course at Evansville. As it turns out the tires dies
and I was about 2 seconds off of where I had been compared to drivers I run
against every weekend. With fresh tires I was back to beating them up here.
If I went to 245 or larger tires I feel my car could beat SS cars. If other
STU drivers start showing up on bigger tires I will buy a set, but so far we
have not had a single car show up with more then a 225 tire on it. I like the
smal diameter of the 225 50 14's also. I measuered and 245 45 16's will fit.
Trimming the fender flares will allow 255 40 17's as well.

The rules as printed in the SIIRB are pretty good, but it does need
clarifications. For one, they do not make mention of brake proportioning
valves, or strut tower braces. Can we use a 3 point or 4 point brace? Can I
use coil over springs in place of frame mounted springs, or in addition to
stock location springs. Can bump steer reducing shims be used under the
steering rack or steering arms? It says open suspension, and max creativity.
I am running a turbo motor running lightened pistons and rods and a bigger
cam, but it does pass emissions. I also have an aftermarket ECU controlling
it all.

Rather than a whole sale change of the rules I would like just a clean up of
what they have and let it evlove with who actually runs it. For one I think
Front drive 2 seaters based on a legal coupe chassis should be allowed. This
opens it up for the DelSol, CRX, and Capri. And the Geo Metro convertible if
someone wants to try it. The supercharged Miatas should also be allowed, but
they would probably become the overdogs, and in stock and SP trim they are
competitive, why do they need another place to play? I am running an old
totally obsolete HS car that could no longer run with the pack, even in DSP
it was not a contender. Now in STU I have one of the cars to beat.

Gary M.