Re: [RE: ST tire options]

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>, autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [RE: ST tire options]
From: "Bill Ozinga" <oz@tirerack.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:52:56 -0500
Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com> said in reply

>> They are certainly less expensive by some $50, but I'd have to
>> say you get what you pay for here.
>
> True, generally speaking, the best of the best street tires are very
> expensive.  They are also not available in a wide variety of sizes, as
> you noted.  This is why I propose a spec tire concept for ST on the
> National level.  With this, everyone can compete on similar tires
> whether they are on 13" or 18" wheels and they don't have to spend more
> on tires than their friends in stock classes do.

There's always a little confusion on tire prices. Race tires are subsidized
by most of the manufacturers. If you look at the 13" race tires compared to
street tires, they're expensive. But when you get to 17" or 18" tires, race
tires are relatively cheap.

There is only one tire that comes in a wide enough range of sizes to even
consider as a spec tire, the Yokohama AVS Intermediate. But they do not have
a wide enough range of sizes to handle all cars that fit the class and sizes
will disappear over time.

New cars also mean new tire sizes, and new sizes come out in the newest
tires. It would also be a problem having a spec tire on a National level
unless you want to figure out a way to maintain a supply of inventory
earmarked specifically for racers. I for one would be very annoyed to be
told that I had to compete on tires that don't offer the performance of what
came on my car as OE.

There is no easy way to contain tire costs in Solo2, period. There will
always be those willing to outspend you on tires, cars, shocks, travel for
seat time, testing, etc.  Luckily, that doesn't mean that they're going to
win, but it helps.

Now how about a claiming rule on shocks to keep those $1000 custom shocks
out of Solo2 :-)

Bill Ozinga - webmaster@tirerack.com
Webmaster - The Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com