[RE: ST tire options]

To: Thomas VandenOever <tavandy1@airmail.net>,
Subject: [RE: ST tire options]
From: GARY MCDANIEL <garymac@usa.net>
Date: 20 Sep 99 07:56:04 PDT
I ran last season on Michelin SX-GTs. I was pleased with their performance
through their entire life. When time came to replace them the size was no
longer available and the Tire Rack rep suggested the new AVS Sport Yokahama.
My first event on unscrubbed tires was horrible(DUH!). On my second event,
yesterday, I'd have to say they are coming in pretty good. Since my area
doesn't have a lot of ST guys playing, I use a fellow member that runs CSP as
a guage. On the Michelins I was staying about a second ahead of him. I did
that again yesterday. I should add, my impression is that the Michelins had a
more precise feel and were a lot more forgiving. These Yoks are performing
well enough but at this point do not seem to have the same level of grip as
the Michelins. They are certainly less expensive by some $50, but I'd have to
say you get what you pay for here.
Gary McDaniel
Cavalier Z24 #49ST