Re: [RE: ST tire options]

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [RE: ST tire options]
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:56:59 -0500

GARY MCDANIEL wrote:

> I ran last season on Michelin SX-GTs. I was pleased with their performance
> through their entire life. When time came to replace them the size was no
> longer available and the Tire Rack rep suggested the new AVS Sport Yokahama.
> My first event on unscrubbed tires was horrible(DUH!). On my second event,
> yesterday, I'd have to say they are coming in pretty good. Since my area
> doesn't have a lot of ST guys playing, I use a fellow member that runs CSP as
> a guage. On the Michelins I was staying about a second ahead of him. I did
> that again yesterday. I should add, my impression is that the Michelins had a
> more precise feel and were a lot more forgiving. These Yoks are performing
> well enough but at this point do not seem to have the same level of grip as
> the Michelins.

Thanks for the feedback.

> They are certainly less expensive by some $50, but I'd have to
> say you get what you pay for here.

True, generally speaking, the best of the best street tires are very
expensive.  They are also not available in a wide variety of sizes, as
you noted.  This is why I propose a spec tire concept for ST on the
National level.  With this, everyone can compete on similar tires
whether they are on 13" or 18" wheels and they don't have to spend more
on tires than their friends in stock classes do.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca