Re: [RE: ST tire options]

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [RE: ST tire options]
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:20:15 -0500

Bill Ozinga wrote:

> There's always a little confusion on tire prices. Race tires are subsidized
> by most of the manufacturers. If you look at the 13" race tires compared to
> street tires, they're expensive. But when you get to 17" or 18" tires, race
> tires are relatively cheap.

This jives with what I've been saying since I got into my first
street-tire vs. R-tire debate way back when.  If your tires are 15" or
smaller, R-tires are not necessarily cheaper.  If your tires are 16" are
larger, they most likely are.

> There is only one tire that comes in a wide enough range of sizes to even
> consider as a spec tire, the Yokohama AVS Intermediate. But they do not have
> a wide enough range of sizes to handle all cars that fit the class and sizes
> will disappear over time.

I agree, this is the single best spec tire option.  Due to the
availability issue (and the fact that different tires are better for
some cars than others, and AVS's aren't reversible and others are, etc,
etc), I would prefer a "spec tire list" as I suggested.  A list with
several different tire models of similar performance ability and price
that are each available in a wide variety of sizes.

Due to the fact that I am apparently the only person who really likes
this idea, it will likely never happen.

> New cars also mean new tire sizes, and new sizes come out in the newest
> tires.

The new cars that fit in this class generally don't come from the
factory with the latest new tire sizes such as you see on the top-end
European sports sedan.  They can, however upgrade to those sizes.  I
don't think this will be a problem, though.  The rules don't allow
fender cutting or anything like that, so you couldn't exactly get away
with running something like a 20" wheel on most of the eligible cars for
the class.

> It would also be a problem having a spec tire on a National level
> unless you want to figure out a way to maintain a supply of inventory
> earmarked specifically for racers.

Ah, but these are common street tires.  They can easily be bought at
many other places besides the Tire Rack.  Besides, we're talking about
ST here... is there going to be enough demand to cause a shortage?  The
class could be well-subscribed, but it won't see entries like D Stock.
And it's only ONE class, not ALL of the Stock and SP classes.

> I for one would be very annoyed to be
> told that I had to compete on tires that don't offer the performance of what
> came on my car as OE.

Good point.  How many cars that are eligible for this class come with
tires that are better than the AVS?  Mine sure didn't.  Hondas don't.
Neons don't.

> There is no easy way to contain tire costs in Solo2, period.

That's certainly true.

> There will
> always be those willing to outspend you on tires, cars, shocks, travel for
> seat time, testing, etc.  Luckily, that doesn't mean that they're going to
> win, but it helps.

All true, but spec tires (like what Stock & SP have with the big 3)
would help to level the playing field.

> Now how about a claiming rule on shocks to keep those $1000 custom shocks
> out of Solo2 :-)

If I don't sell my Saturn and buy a Miata or something, I could have a
set of those $1000 struts on my car as early as next year.  Why?  There
are no other options for a Saturn.  I'd love a set of off-the-shelf
adjustable Konis/GABs/Tokikos, but such a product is not available for a
Saturn.

I see your smiley there, but honestly, I think this would be fair for
stock classes.  Could you imagine being able to take a truly stock car
and be nationally competitive with it?

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca