Re: Street Prepared Streetability

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>, autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Prepared Streetability
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 08:23:48 -0700
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this discussion is how far you go
with the mods on a given car. F-bodies tend to be more often street
driven than other cars because they handle very well in stock form. I
was contemplating going ESP with an 84 Mustang GT Turbo a year
or so ago. I changed my mind and bought a very competetive EP Pinto
instead and am having a ball with it. I did this because I looked at the
rule book anddecided that although I could make the 2.3 Turbo
competetive in ESP, it would take every trick in the book to do it.
That would mean a full roll cage, serious suspension mods, re-pro-
grammed computer and/or after market management system,
racing seats, huge intercooler, etc. The car, even stock, is a lot
of fun on the street and would be even more so with a few mods,
but I decided to draw the line at a full roll cage and delrin-type
bushings. Also, in California We do smog checks every two
years and all the engine stuff would have to come off for the check
and re-installed for racing. In other words I didn't want a street
driven RACE car, which is what you end up with if you exploit the
full extent of the SP rules. If you remove the catalytic converter
and do nothing else, you are not street legal in any of the 50
states.There is a difference between "street legal" and "capable of
being driven on the street"Some people have a higher tolerance for
race car antics in their daily driver than others. My daily commute is 90
miles round trip and I like to be able to hear the stereo.