Re: Lot costs

To: "Glen E. Thompson" <glen.thompson@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Lot costs
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:31:22 -0700
We have two main lots in San Diego, Quallcomm and the abondoned
Naval Training Center. Quallcomm is HUGE. There are three main areas
to the lot; the biggest (the "west" lot) is big enough for parking about
7000 cars (20 acres plus?). we run 1.5 mile courses occasionally with TTD
of 80 sec. The northeast and southeast portions of the lot (the stadium
siyts in the middle of the whole thing) are smaller and generate TTD in the
40-60 second range. This is all smooth asphalt, originally designed in the
60s for road racing. Plenty of parking and porttapotties, no electricity,good
crowd control. They charge $1000.00 per day. We can't start until 9:00 am
and have to be done at 5:00 pm. 93 DBa at 50 feet noise limit. We can set
up the day before if it doesn't interfere with some other event
(Padres,Chargers,
whatever). When we first started at this site some 15 + years ago we
had to raise entry fees to pay for it amid much griping. After about two
events,
nobody wanted to run anywhere else because it was such an awesome site.
Until then we had been running in small indusrtrial and shopping center
lots with 30 second TTDs if lucky.

The NTC lot is $750.00 per day, is much smaller with limited parking. TTD runs
in the mid 30s for a Mod car, but the courses are reasonably fast if laid
out well.
It's available only on Saturdays. It we just held a club-only event there a
couple of
weeks ago and it was a lot of fun, but large events don't work well because of
the very limited parking especially for trailered rigs. BTW, NTC is the
location of
the upcoming American LeMans Series stop in San Diego. They are starting the
necessary improvements now. They will be using areas of the base that we
aren't
allowed to.

We charge $20-25.00 for entries and don't have a problem making expenses
and a little profit unless something really weird happens. I believe the
stadium
gives us no charge cancellation priveledges up until 9 or 10am the day of the
event in case of rain and if they bump us for another event involuntarily
(rare)
they re-imburse our mailing costs.