RE: new debate question, 1K in 2K?

To: "'Brian M Kennedy'" <kennedy@i2.com>,
Subject: RE: new debate question, 1K in 2K?
From: Phil Osborne <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:42:07 -0500

Brian writes:
 Phil,

Some of us (though I am sure not all of us) might argue that
the Texas Region has more than they can handle.
The autox's take all day, each driver gets only three runs, no fun runs,
less opportunity to drive with others, less opportunity to learn and
improve.  If we did a big promotion and doubled attendance, then what?
We'd drive into the night and each driver would get only two runs?

Brian, I don't know how long it's been since you have been to a Texas
Region event, but since I have been at the helm of the program, nearly 3
years now, we always allow 4 runs.  Yes, that does take longer, especially
at sites like Mineral Wells where course times can and do average 70 to 80
seconds, and they are usually good challenging courses.  As for riding with
someone, we do not prohibit drivers riding together, as long as the riding
driver has completed his runs.  Attendance at the Mineral Ring most ofen
exceeds 100 drivers, and we are out by 5PM or so after cleanup.  Attendance
at in-town events have averaged about 125 drivers for the past couple of
years, with as many as 165 competing in one day.  Shorter courses, usually
in the 45 to 55 second range, allow us to get away from the site before
dark, most often around 5PM or so after cleanup.  Keeping in mind that
first car out is not till 11AM, I think thats reasonable.

Brian again:
My point?  Back to the original "new debate question", there's some
number of drivers that is too small -- and some number of drivers that
is too big.  Where are we now?  Too small or too big?

My point Brian is that I do not want to discourage anyone from attending
our events, and welcome all that show up.  Where are we now?  Probably in
the middle, not too big, not too small.  However, even if we got "too big"
I think there are available changes in the program that would allow us to
"squeeze" in an extra driver or two...

Brian again:
Does Texas Region want more or less?  Should DC events drop the
limit, but reduce runs or go to a further site?  Should we really
try to get to 1K at 2K Nationals?

I think its an interesting debate question,

Brian

Brian, I agree that it is an interesting debate question, but I also firmly
believe Regions should attempt to accomodate all comers, and not turn
anyone away if they arrive on schedule.  As for DC, it appears to me that
their system works for them, and that's fine.  Should we really try to get
1000 for 2K Nationals, most definitely!

Phil Osborne