Re: Two half days >= one whole day (speaking of participationlevels)

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: Two half days >= one whole day (speaking of participationlevels)
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:45:33 -0700

Brian M Kennedy wrote:

> Here's a way to up participation:
>
> Split day-long events into two half-day events, where half the classes
> run in the morning and half in the afternoon.

It surprised me to learn that in some regions, autocrossing was a
mandatory all day event. We are fortunate that in San Diego, we can
normally run 6 groups. You can run one and work one, and if you wanted,
your day is done.

We also have some flexibility in that if your class does not run at the
time you have available, you can run in an "X" class (time only) in
another group.

Since I often have things I have to do away from autocrossing, this
allows me to still autocross. Otherwise, I would have missed almost all
events this year. We have an autocross tomorrow in San Diego/Qualcomm. I
have to coach a girls soccer game in the middle of day, 30 miles north.
Coaching a game will take 2.5 hours plus driving, so I will be gone a
lot of the day.

But, I will be at the event site at 6:30 to help set up, try to get some
"X" runs in early in the morning, then come back to help take down the
event in the afternoon. I really appreciate that we have this
flexibility at our events.

Often I can show up at an event at 8:30, tech and register. Run at
9:00am. Work at 9:40. I am back home at 11:00am. For a lot of people
(not totally hooked on the sport), it's harder to justify being at an
event all day for 3 runs.

Randy Chase
'91 MR2 CS (but with no R tires to run on that still have tread)