Re: AP as viewed from fourth place

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AP as viewed from fourth place
From: "Tom_Holt" <tholt@starlight.us.dell.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:50:23 -0500
>Too bad the rain obviates comparing times across classes. It would be
>very interesting to see if Greg was that much faster than all the other
>prepared cars or whether the rest of you were just slow.

    I suspect you may be somewhat  correct on the rest of the class being
relatively slower than years past. None of the top 4 drivers from last year
were back in the same car. The Babbs, John Banks and Barry Shonberger were
missing from the race and Bud "3 Fingers" Bohrer was in his Tiger rather
than the Babbs Elan. Nagler is always a contender, but he's in a new car
that may not be at it's full potential (or possibly doesn't have the
potential of some of his past cars). Furthermore, if I'm in the top 5, you
know something's up! :)
    You can compare this years times with EM, which ran the same heat and
then compare them from last year. EM was about 4.5 to 6 seconds faster last
year. This year Greg  beat EM by 3 seconds total while Nagler was 2.9 the EM
winner... admittedly the rain had some affect on that time spread, but
Greg's best runs on both days were about 1/2 second faster than the best EM
runs.

>But either way
>it seems your beef should either be with yourself for not writing a
>proper protest or with the PC for not ruling correctly given the
>circumstances. And if it was the latter why didn't you appeal?

    I didn't write either protest, so I probably have no right to debate
this... but that's never mattered before in this forum! :) I checked
yesterday to see if the results were finallized though, and the appeal
papers were received by Denver yesterday and they expect to reach a decision
within the next two weeks.