Re: RE: AP as viewed from fourth place

To: autox@autox.team.net, Jeff@Winchell.Com
Subject: Re: RE: AP as viewed from fourth place
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:06:40 -0500
List
The only way you could put a $$$ limit on autocrossing would be to have a claim
rule. For example: SS - $40k, AS- $30k, BS-$ 28k, CS-$15k, DS- $13k, ES-$12k,
FS-$25k, GS-$23k, and HS-$17k. If you trophy at Nats , a competitor in your
class can buy your car from you for that amount. If you deny the sale, then you
lose your trophy!!!!!
The dollar figures would have to be adjusted every single year to keep up with
inflation and new car models. My $.02
Bill Schmidt cs rx7 kc reg

>>> "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com> 09/23 4:49 PM >>>
> What difference does cost make in this sport.

It's an amateur sport.

> Many people put as much or
> more money into their autocross cars as is in the RSR.

I wasn't aware there are many people putting 250,000 into their autocross
cars. Or perhaps that 250,000 floated out here is way off base. If
someone told me that this was a 100,000 investment, I guess I'd say that
might be OK in AP, perhaps in ASP and AM too. I'm not too sure that I'd
be in favor of it in many classes though.

> Some people may not like that we took the car to Kansas this
> year but the rule book allows such cars. If you don't like it then maybe we
> should take a look at the rules.

Given the contradictions inherent in the rules, then I'd agree they should
be changed. I'd go for either something disallowing a car that expensive,
or making the whole class obviously that expensive. Currently, it appears
the rules are too fuzzy.

Jeff Winchell
http://PonyCar.Net