Re: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:38:18 -0500

>I am just curious why it is commonly accepted that "Nationals must be
>on concrete"??

I think that is more serendipity than design. Really big sites, like
airports, are concrete. The only Nationals not on an airport (present or
former) site:
1973 - Wentzville, race track
1974 - Lake Geneva, race track
1976 - Columbus, Ohio, fairgrounds roads
1982 - Gurnee, Ill, amusement park

That's it -- and all were asphalt. None could handle an event the size we
are now.

what we ask of surface is that it be suitable to drive on. Mostly, lately,
the first consideration is size, including enough space to paddock. None of
the previous airport sites -- Salina East Crawford, Sunflower Aerodrome in
Hutchinson (Kan), Greater Southwest in Dallas, Salina Airport, could handle
today's 900+ car event (mostly because of later development taking area we
used).