RE: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)

To: "'Matt Murray'" <mattm@optonline.net>,
Subject: RE: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)
From: Colan Arnold <carnold@netins.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:24:02 -0500
I was one of those who ran when the change was made.

First, I'm having a difficult time understanding why the word "significant"
is used to describe moving a cone!!!!.

Between the paddock area and the course area we are using almost 4,000,000
square foot of pavement. For those of you who think in acres, that is
almost 100 acres of pavement. Unfortunately, there aren't very many sites
that have anywhere near that much space. So what do we do? Move to a
better, yet smaller site, and limit the number of entries? Not a palatable
idea at all.

As to running on the blacktop at Topeka, even if the airport would let us,
I don't think we would really want to. Yes, it is smooth. But, it has been
seal coated with a tar/sand mixture. It would be really slick.