Re: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:49:56 -0500

Brian M Kennedy wrote:

> I am just curious why it is commonly accepted that "Nationals must be
> on concrete"??

If this year's Nationals courses were any indication (and I expect that
they were), the tendency is for there to be one really fast "power"
course and one fairly twisty "handling" course. (no, I'm not saying that
either course could have been easily overwhelmed by any car that didn't
have an equal measure of both)

Based on that, why not give those who primarily run on asphalt a 50/50
chance and put one course on concrete and the other on asphalt?  Even
there at Forbes field there was obviously plenty of good asphalt.  I'd
almost say the asphalt is in better condition than the concrete!

Just a thought.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca