Re: Randy Chase-cording Toyos

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Randy Chase-cording Toyos
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:09:47 -0400

> > You can run Toyo's until you see no tread pattern left at all. They seem
> > fastest at this point. I don't think I've ever actually corded a Toyo badly,
> > they seem to go off and loose grip just before this happens so I change
>them at
> > this point.
>
> Agree they seem fastest at this point. Do not agree they go away before
> they cord. I have run every one of my Toyos to a horrific corded state.
> They do go away when I hit steel belts. I just slapped on a new set of
> Toyos and ran them this weekend. These were near full tread and really
> did not stick as well.

My Toyo's may have went away because of all the heat cycles and street
driving.  I still have them as backups but they just weren't very grippy
anymore. I was having major starting line traction problems. New tires and I
was bogging the car horribly on take-off. Funny thing is, they had tons of
accelerating/braking grip when new, but major marbles and horrible lateral
grip. After about 10-12 runs they were working much better. My local tire guy
doesn't shave tires but it's probably a good idea.

> > If you flip tires with worn in camber (essentially) you end up running on
>the
> > outer edge of tread which is now of greater diameter than the inside. This
> > means your contact patch is greatly diminished when cornering. They will be
> > horribly slow but you will get more wear. Keep this in mind and don't ask
>how I
> > know.
>
> 8-)  Yep. But I find for my car, it's not a big deal, and I assume if
> someone is running Toyos, they may not be trying to get every last bit
> of time they can buy out of the tires, since if that was the case, why
> are they not on faster tires?

Maybe they just don't have to go any faster.

Burl Vibert
1983 911SC A/SS CASC-OR
Kingston, Ontario