Re: Randy Chase-cording Toyos

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Randy Chase-cording Toyos
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:06:18 -0700

"B. Vibert" wrote:

> You can run Toyo's until you see no tread pattern left at all. They seem
> fastest at this point. I don't think I've ever actually corded a Toyo badly,
> they seem to go off and loose grip just before this happens so I change them
>at
> this point.

Agree they seem fastest at this point. Do not agree they go away before
they cord. I have run every one of my Toyos to a horrific corded state.
They do go away when I hit steel belts. I just slapped on a new set of
Toyos and ran them this weekend. These were near full tread and really
did not stick as well.

> If you flip tires with worn in camber (essentially) you end up running on the
> outer edge of tread which is now of greater diameter than the inside. This
> means your contact patch is greatly diminished when cornering. They will be
> horribly slow but you will get more wear. Keep this in mind and don't ask how
> know.

8-)  Yep. But I find for my car, it's not a big deal, and I assume if
someone is running Toyos, they may not be trying to get every last bit
of time they can buy out of the tires, since if that was the case, why
are they not on faster tires?

Randy Chase
'91 MR2 CS (Still on Toyos until 2000)