Re: Randy Chase-cording Toyos

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Randy Chase-cording Toyos
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:00:11 -0400

> > There's a McKamey coming up in November.  We have two people registered to
> > run in the car.  The fronts have maybe 2/32s and the rears have a little
> > less.  How long did your go before they corded?

You can run Toyo's until you see no tread pattern left at all. They seem
fastest at this point. I don't think I've ever actually corded a Toyo badly,
they seem to go off and loose grip just before this happens so I change them at
this point.

> So you will be looking at 50 runs or so. Might depend a lot on your
> style and the surface. That is close probably. The Toyos always wore on
> the outside shoulder for me. If I did not flip them, I would still have
> tread showing and cord would show on the outside corner. If I did flip
> them, they would have zero tread and still be good to go (in fact,
> better) for another 20 runs.

If you flip tires with worn in camber (essentially) you end up running on the
outer edge of tread which is now of greater diameter than the inside. This
means your contact patch is greatly diminished when cornering. They will be
horribly slow but you will get more wear. Keep this in mind and don't ask how I
know.

Burl Vibert
1983 911SC A/SS CASC-OR