Re: Blast from the Past

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blast from the Past
From: Jonathan Dove <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:35:37 -0400
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>

> when autocrosses were called gymkhanas,

Ha!  My parents still call autocrosses gymkhanas too.

I have a video tape of transfered 8mm films that were captured from
a friend of my parents back in 1965-67.  There are some shots of a
gymkhana/autocross at a shopping center on a Sunday.  Even then seat
belts and helmets were not required.  There is also a shot of the timing
system that was activated by running over a hose.

A segment of the video has some hill climb activity.  There lap belts and
helmets were the only required safety equipment.  And people competed in
their street cars also.

Another segment is of a relay race at Lime Rock where teams competed
against each other with race and street cars.  A handicap system was used
to equalize the cars.  After the race you see people pull off the taped
numbers their cars and drive home.

You don't see things like that any more!

Jonathan
jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu