Re: NO2 Incident

To: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: NO2 Incident
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:33:38 -0700

        Oh yeah, what he said. :-)

> Point well taken, but reading further, there seems to
> be a serious product liability issue here with a
> popoff safety valve that failed to open.  Someone's
> gonna pay big for this is my guess.

        They'd better. And that company is really lucky that no one was in or
near the car when it went. That's the kindof thing that could very well
cause a fatality.

> I'm not saying we should allow N20.  But, implying all
> N20 installs are dangerous based on freak accidents
> like this is much like saying all retread tires are
> dangerous 'cause I saw one blow once.  (uh oh, here we
> go with THAT again... :)

        Well, my intent was more on the basis of high pressure gas bottles in
general. Yeah sure, N2O bottles are going to have a fair bit of urban
myth and rumor about how "safe" they might be. This particular incident
will forever be popular now. But I'm looking at the more general picture
of high pressure gas bottles. They -are- dangerous. We use them every
day at work, and we take care when moving them. It's not that it
requires elaborate methods to protect ones self, but it does mean taking
precautions. I've seen a Nitrogen gas bottle go through two cinderblock
walls like an RPG when the valve was accidentally knocked off.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/