Re: Blast from the Past

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blast from the Past
From: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:59:08 -0400
>At 12:25 AM 9/29/99 -0500, Phil Ethier wrote:
>>From: Hottvr@aol.com <Hottvr@aol.com>
>>

>>>The next year he bought a really
>>>radical car.
>>>It was a 1963 Corvair "Syder" a supercharged model
>>
>>It was turbo-supercharged.  I believe the Corvair Monza Spyder was the
first
>>mass-produced car to use a turbo.
>
>NOPE. Buick had a turbo F-85 (?) in the late 50s. It even had
>factory water injection.

Bzzzzzttt! Wrong!  Olds came out with the F-85 Jetfire a year after the
Corvair Turbo.  It used the Buick alloy 215ci block, but had different heads
than the Buick, which raised the compression ratio.  A bad move, which
forced Olds to add water injection. The water injection used distilled water
that Olds called Turbo-Jet Fluid.  The engine was dropped, as with all 215ci
alloy engines, in favor of larger displacement engines, and all tooling was
sold to British Leyland.  But the 215 still lives on in a way at GM in the
form of the Buick V6.

Ron - Dalton, Ga
84 300ZX Turbo
IZCC# 4779   TLS#30