Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

To: Steve Ashcraft <ashcraft2@home.com>
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:58:41 -0400
Steve Ashcraft wrote:

> YES---And who cares if the timing equipment is 50% off if it is 50% off for
> all of the competitors and is always about 50% off for all of the events.
> The only interesting comparisons between drivers are usually based on a
> percentage and not a raw number of milliseconds.

This is exactly why I stated that precision is more important than
accuracy. As long as a run of xx.yyy seconds is exactly the same
duration for all competitors then the timer can do the job it needs to
do. I still think millisecond precision is necessary because there have
been numerous times where centisecond precision was not sufficient to
properly rank the finishers.

Paul Foster