Re: Have you seen a fire?

To: oblique@alum.mit.edu, bswilliams@myriad.net
Subject: Re: Have you seen a fire?
From: "John Gross" <jogross3@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:27:21 PDT
>Actually, this was nothing.  It was all calm and controlled and the
>car had pulled off the track.  I've had plenty more exciting things
>happen to me while flagging.  I could talk all day about it!
>
>You should try road racing flagging, it is quite a lot of fun.

I can vouch that a lot goes on in those cases.  Last weekend, I flagged a
PCA DE in College Station, and was at a corner where a C5 grenaded a motor
big time (fortunately, no fire, but the biggest piece we picked up off the
track was the center part of a rod cap...not much left of that one), and a
Porsche Boxster went tail-end first into an Armco railing.  About two weeks
before, when working an SCCA race at the same track, a Mustang went tail-end
first into a tire wall at about 65-70 mph and kept going, and a SRF went
flying through a turn and went airborne over the banking into the mud.
That's just the recent stuff that I was an eyewitness to.  There was much
more interesting stuff that I heard over the radio (like 2 SRX-7's hitting
nose to nose)