Peru NT course concerns

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Peru NT course concerns
From: William Loring <bloring@tirerack.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:15:13 -0600
Okay, I really don't want to start a big course design philosophy
discussion, but I've downloaded the course designs for the upcoming Peru NT
event, and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed.

I will qualify this by saying that I realize that I am only looking at a
piece of paper (or an arrangement of electrons, more accurately), and thus
things might (and usually do) shake out differently when we're actually on
site.

Anyway, the courses look very open (which is not necessarily bad, IMO), and
not particularly challenging. They also look very scary fast in a couple of
spots, in particular the finish for Sunday. It is my opinion that if these
courses drive like they look on paper, then the winners will be those with
faster cars, not faster drivers.

If you want to check these out for yourselves, you can view the files at the
KYR website:

http://www.kyscca.org/

The files are in a proprietary AutoDesk format, which requires a plug-in.
This is a Windows-only format, so if you don't like plug-ins, or don't use
Windows (like me) then you can download some "fair" quality GIF files, and
some "better" PDF files from this URL:

http://www.skyenet.net/~billdaddy/peru/

I hope that KYR doesn't mind me putting these images and my thoughts online,
and I intend no offense to the fine folks at KYR in my criticism of their
course design.

I hope that I'm being premature, and will be proven wrong in this critique
this weekend.

Regards,

William Loring