Re: Antiseize on wheel studs causes binding?

To: "Ian" <ianmcfetridge@earthlink.net>, "teamnet" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Antiseize on wheel studs causes binding?
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:27:40 -0500
I don't know a whole lot of chemistry even though I majored in chemistry,
but...

The copper anti-seize grease I use actually has a solid embedded in the
compound.. kinda like copper dust.  So, when the petroleum base evaporates,
the copper solid is left behind to lubricate, similar to graphite.

Well, if you put enough of it on and in just the right place, you can
probably get the copper to bind against the threads.  Add to that, the
heating and cooling of lug studs and you probably get the copper dust
turning into a consistent solid.

WD-40 or other light lubricants evaporate fairly quick, so they don't have
much of any residual component.

I've always heard you shouldn't put anything on your lug studs.  Now, if you
have some that are rusted, I guess it wouldn't hurt.  But by simply using
them and changing wheels all the time probably keeps any corrosion off of
them long enough to not warrant the use of anti-seize.

I would leave the studs dry, but YMMV.

Brian

--
Brian Berryhill