RE: Antiseize on wheel studs causes binding?

To: "'Craig Blome'" <cblome@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Antiseize on wheel studs causes binding?
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:32:30 -0500
What I've noticed is that when I torque my wheels to 95 ft/lbs (the exact
middle of the factory 90-100ft/lb recommendation) that they will loosen
about 1/4 turn after several fast autocross runs.  More noticeable on
concrete surfaces versus asphalt.

I dunno if "loosen" is the right word but if I put the torque wrench to 'em
after 4 runs they need about 1/4 turn to again reach the same 95 ft/lb
setting.  I'd imagine the heat expansion characteristics of the different
materials (steel rotors & studs and aluminum alloy wheels) is the prime
culprit.  I wonder about it sometimes but I don't lose any sleep over it.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 DS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com

How heavy is the car?  It could be just side loads on the lug nut seats
throwing off your initial torque.  Try this trick:

1.  fit wheel and hand tighten lug nuts
2.  lower jack until wheel just touches the ground (idea is to support
only the wheel's weight)
3.  torque to spec
4.  lower the car the rest of the way

That seems to give me the most consistent torque settings.

Craig Blome

http://mail.yahoo.com/