Re: Stock reclassification???? the answer (VERY LONG)

To: Gary Thomason <gtsolo2@home.net>,
Subject: Re: Stock reclassification???? the answer (VERY LONG)
From: Topper Jones <gbrt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 06:26:32 -0700 (PDT)
> David Hawkins wrote:
>
> > I find the placement of the S2000 to be very
> interesting....
> > the car seems to be fitting right into AS and now it's
> > proposed for the lower SS.
> >
> > David 'no dog in this fight' Hawkins

Well said David!

--- Gary Thomason <gtsolo2@home.net> wrote:

>Results for the year so far
> show that with
> the exception of only one major event, if anything, the
> Boxster is
> superior to the S2000. In my opinion, the specifications
> for these
> two vehicles are mostly in favor of the Boxster. Even
> more telling,
> I have driven both and performed instrumented testing
> using state-of-
> the-art equipment on these vehicles as part of my job.
>
> Taken as a whole, the measured maximum track performance
> of the two
> is quite close, with the most important difference being
> that the
> Boxster was surprisingly friendly and manageable to drive
> at the limit,
> and the S2000 was just the opposite - twitchy, nervous
> and generally
> uncooperative in the same situations. Acceleration is
> also very close,
> as long as the S2000 is kept in its stratospheric
> powerband. This
> is somewhat difficult given the fairly tall gearing (tall
> considering
> the motorcycle-style powerband).

Gary, thank you for putting this into words. While the
S2000 is a blast to drive on the street, twitchy, nervous
and generally uncooperative seems to be the rule of thumb
anywhere near the limit while autoXing this car.

I believe it would be a major underdog if classed as
proposed.

Topper Jones
S2000