Re: ProSolo questions and launching

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ProSolo questions and launching
From: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:32:43 -0500 (CDT)
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, David Hawkins wrote:

> Very few of the NTs or divisionals I have attended had a drag style
> start (straight line to the first technical part).  Most Solo II
> courses have a start followed by a rather sharp turn to discourage
> clutch killing launches.

Can someone explain this to me?  I realize that most non-pro courses start
out this way, but how does this discourage a drag launch?

To my inexperienced mind, faster is faster.  If you're *serious* about
going as fast as you possibly can, shouldn't you always execute your best
"pro style" launch?

Even if you then lift immediately, or brake, you still covered the first
few feet a little faster than the person who babied their clutch.

Right?

Steven