Re: ProSolo questions and launching

To: Steve Ashcraft <ashcraft2@home.com>
Subject: Re: ProSolo questions and launching
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:17:55 -0700

Steve Ashcraft wrote:

> I'm still confused (but that's my usual state of mind).  I still don't
> understand why you wouldn't still launch hard if for no other reason than to
> warm up the rear tires.  I'm not sure how you could ever design a start
> where a hard launch wouldn't have you going faster as you cross the start
> line than a smooth "slow" start.

Consider this. Start line....go straight 40 feet, hard turn, then
lights. The turn is sharp enough that more acceleration prior to it will
only mean you need to be on your brakes more. As long as there is a turn
before the lights, then there is not much point in doing a real launch.
Unless the turn is not sharp and you can hit it full throttle.

But why launch hard and then hit your brakes before the starting light?
What happens before the start is then meaningless. The only issue is
your speed and your line, when you cross the lights.

I have seen a lot of normal non-Pro events that still did benefit from a
hard launch though. :-)

Randy Chase
Back on Toyos for now... :-)