Re: Classing by Potential

To: Jeff@cyberconceptz.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Classing by Potential
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 21:44:11 EDT
Jeff@cyberconceptz.com writes:

> with a Logical performance biased system, you can shuffle cars at any point.
> wonderful. Move some cars up some cars down. whatever, god forbid a
> different car might win for a change.

By saying "at any point", do you mean at the end of the season?  Or during
the season itself?  We move cars up and down now.  Almost without
exception it's done at the end of the season, after Nationals.  That means
that a competitor can be reasonably certain that his car of choice will still
be in the same class when Nationals rolls around at the end of the season.
Sort of good to know, wouldn't you think?  If your intention is to re-class
cars during the season based on event results, do you have any idea how
much sandbagging will go on, right up until registration opens in Topeka?

> look at the current system
> we have
> RX7TT stock
> Boxster 2.7 stock (with development)
> Miata stock
> Mr2 N/A Stock
> Neon Stock
> Celica Stock
> Camaro Stock
> Type R stock
> and Honda stock
>
> YEA our system is not broken SHESH

Only one make/model of car can win a given class in Topeka each year. Are
you saying you'd like to see different cars than those above win in Topeka?
Here's how:  Move each of the class-winning cars up a class after Nationals
each year.  Then you'll have a different car win every one of those classes
the following year.

You have to understand that most of the winners and top finishers at Topeka
each year are not "married" to a particular brand of car.  Look in the back of
the Solo rulebook and see how many different classes drivers like Mark
Daddio, Gary Thomason, John Ames, et al, have won championships in.
Now look at how many different cars they drove doing it.  These guys and
lots of others pick a class they want to run, pick a car that may only have
a slight advantage over the rest of the cars in that class, then do their best
to exploit that advantage.  Changing the system by which we class those
cars won't deter them from doing the same thing within your "new, better,
fairer" system.  The car at the top of each class may be different than the
ones you listed above, but most if not all of the top drivers within a given
class will likely all be in the same make of car.  This is just the way things
usually shake out at Topeka.  Want to see a different car win next year?
Move this year's winning model up.  Next year you'll have a different model
win that class, but don't be surprised if the person DRIVING that different
car is the same one that won the previous year...

> as you say "a majority" It looks like there are more people on this list
> that think like me, even the ones in the "cars to have" I think having a
> more logical system is better regardless of where my car falls (guess it's
> destined for SS now :-) not to mention how much easier it will be for the
> SCAC/SEB to class cars in the future..

I don't understand how it will be easier to class cars under another method.
Like I asked Ben Thatcher, take the current Stock proposal and re-list all
the cars where you think they should be.  Show us how it will be better.

As for your car (or any car now deemed uncompetitive) here's how to work
the new classing system:  Make sure no one runs a car like yours for a
season, maybe two.  Above all, if someone DOES run one, make sure they
know not to do well with it.  Soon, the SEB will look around and see that
few of these cars are running, and drop it down a class, maybe two.  Now
be careful not to do too well with it until Topeka, then kill 'em at
Nationals!
Of course the downside is you now get moved up a class for the following
year....

GH