Re: Police The issue

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Police The issue
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:53:17 -0400
<<<If you could spend 1 month as a highway patrol officer, and witness
the
suffering, pain and anguish that is caused by the horrendous accidents
that
occur, you would understand why officers become very pro-active..
Witness a
young child being thrown from a vehicle and getting impaled on a
guiderail
because their parent was speeding and neglected to properly belt that
child
in and it would change your whole prespective on why motorists are
stopped
and often ticketed...>>>

That reminds me of the Dragnet episode where the two parents were
smoking pot in the LR while the baby drowned in the bathtub. "Another
drug-related death."

Florida has decided to stop the unwritten policy of letting policemen
go who were stopped for speeding or other infractions. This occurred
after the infamous case where the off-duty FBI agent was driving way
beyond drunk the wrong way down an interstate and killed someone. The
police who responded charged the wrong person for driving the wrong
way.

I simply do not see a big correlation between highway fatalities and
speeding. Same goes for so-called aggressive driving. Get people out
of the left lane when they are not passing and this will end. I see a
much stronger correlation with the elderly but nobody is trying to
keep _them_ off the roads.

IMHO

Paul Foster