Re: C4-C5 Corvettes in stock

To: "Ben Thatcher" <bthatch@juno.com>
Subject: Re: C4-C5 Corvettes in stock
From: "Ron Bauer" <ronbauer@aa.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:50:10 -0700
Although I have to admit that it was somewhat by "feel," as a McKamey
instructor, I have driven most cars that are out there and think that I have
a pretty good grasp by feel on how good a car is.  The C5 I drove (which the
2000 hardtop has a bigger rear swaybar I'm told) turns in incredibly well,
and with it's monster torque, it can get out of a turn a lot quicker than an
RX7, which is primarily what I'm comparing too.  I'd say that the RX7 is the
car to beat in SS as it stands, and in my opinion, the C5 can probably run
with it in all circumstances, whereas the C4 can only do it some of the
time.

As far as your argument of looking at results around the country, I'd
counter with the idea that has been pointed out many times before, namely
car setup and driver skill.  As with the C4s this year, there are not nearly
the number of national caliber drivers in them as there used to be.  If you
compare results of the C4 this year, I don't think you can make a fair
comparison.  With the C5, my understanding is that the normal ones push no
matter what you do when driven to the limits.  The 2000 hardtop seems to
have fixed this problem.  Again, I don't think you've seen any top drivers
yet in this car (but that may quickly change......)

As has been pointed out, in my neck of the woods, Stacy Molleker has been
doing pretty well in his car.  This is with just tires and an alignment.
More can still be done to this car, and is most likely being done.  I know
of a past national champion somewhere in the country also that just
purchased one of these and is thinking about running it........

Stay tuned for Nationals and then make the call on which is the better car.

Ron Bauer