Re: Police The issue...off subject

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Police The issue...off subject
From: Mari L Clements <mrndr2@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:40:47 -0700
> Eric Clements wrote:
> > > Speaking of "serve and protect", why don't cops stop to help  when
> > > your
> > > broken down on the side of the highway?

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:45:42 -0500 "Timothy Stevens"
<tim@consoledomain.com> writes:
> Perhaps things are different where you are, but I frequently see
> police officers stop to aid broken down cars in upstate NY, CT, Mass,
and
> in Minnesota, all places where I've done a good amount of driving.

Given that I'm pretty sure I know what Eric is talking about, let me say
that over the past 16 years, 9 vehicles, numerous family visits all over
the country, and tons and tons of miles, there have been some glaring
examples.  When the alternator on the van seized up on the Pennsylvania
Turnpike, the PA State Patrol with the radar gun that I broke down *right
next to* didn't budge from his car or even ask what was wrong.  When the
alternator on the Shelby went in Kentucky, it was a motorist going the
other way that got off the highway, turned around, and came back to offer
to help--not the policeman going our direction.  When the truck died in
State College, PA, the officer's idea of protecting and serving was
yelling at Eric that he had to get it off the road *now*.  (Here's a
several thousand pound full sized 4WD truck and a guy alone.  He's
supposed to what? Levitate the thing?  Yell really loud and hope a tow
truck driver hears and responds?)

In contrast, when the fuel pump gave out on the Volkswagen in Colorado,
the officer did stop and make sure we were OK.  When the radiator
overheated in New Jersey, the officer did try to help.

The explanation someone gave about liability, though a sad indictment of
the litigious nature of our society, fits for me.  Being a police officer
strikes me as a pretty thankless, scary, hard job.  I guess that's why
I'm not one, and I'm grateful for all the good ones out there.

mlc
'91 MR2 NA
------I take no responsibility for anything below this line------

http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.