Re: Hoosier Tire Splits + rim protectors?

To: Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hoosier Tire Splits + rim protectors?
From: Ron Katona <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:54:08 -0400
David Hedderick wrote:
> My split just got worse at our event (SW DIV #2).
> I think it will be ok to run on. I'm still worried about
> it though. The no warranty thing kinda stinks too.

I think it'll be OK too. My first and only experience so far with a set
of Hoosiers is that the sticky goes out of them long before the split
becomes an issue. 56 runs on an ESP M3 and they were done - down to the
cords on two of them. I rotated the tires front to rear (and randomly
side to side) every event, but never flipped them on the rims. I had one
tire develop a pretty bad split right away ending up with about a
1/4-1/2 inch gap in the cap rubber at the split. Other tires had little
or no split. By that time, two tires were showing cord in other places.
They stopped being good autocross tires about two events prior to that
anyway. YMMV. I doubt I'll go past about 45 runs on the next set (yes,
I'm a glutton for punishment).

I also spoke to a gentleman recently who is the tire guy for a Motorola
Cup team. They run Hoosiers and he said theirs split too. He said "they
all do that," and that it never concerned him. They never had a tire
failure from splitting. Granted, they change tires frequently.

Now here's something for ya... when my new A3S03s arrived, they looked a
bit different. Hmmm... something funny about that bead area. Yup, looks
like they have a rim protector bulge just above the bead area. Wonder if
they'll still fit my car? Anyone run into problems with this? I didn't
have much clearance to begin with.
--
Ron Katona