re Fiero reclassing

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re Fiero reclassing
From: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:41:34 -0400
Please reread my post! I have no problem racing MR2's!

This is the issue. Fiero's all look pretty much the same but are vastly
different from 1984-7 to 1988. An 88 has a much better and totally different
suspension. 6 cylinders are all classed in CS. It doesn't matter if you have
solid disks, no rear sway bar, shorter front A arms and a transplanted X
body front suspension in the rear. (1985-87 V6 cars) vs improved front a arm
design, vented disks on all four wheels and a multilink rear suspension with
a rear swaybar.(1988's)

I find that I can run with the MR2's on all but tight courses, they turn
much better but are down on power.

The issue is that the SCCA had so many people complaining about their 2200
lb Miata's vs a virtually identical car with 200 CC increase in
displacement. I think that you will all agree that this is not as
significant a change as the suspension revision that the Fiero has undergone
in 1988. Yet after they were observed to be of higher performance than the
earlier cars ALL V6 Fiero's were moved (best of the breed?) Why should the
Miata get special treatment? It got it because tons of people had them and
wrote letters!

The 4 cylinder cars are an entirely different story. A stock Iron duke 4cyl
has about 88 HP and pulls a car weighing  2650-2700 lbs. It has zero chance
in E stock vs a Neon or even a Tiburon (140 HP 2600 lbs)

Please read the posts carefully. I like CS even though I don't have the best
or most competitive car. I find my edge and periodically go over it. All mid
engined cars are a bit more difficult to drive at the edge due to their
polar moment of inertia (They spin faster, like a skater, move the weight
closer to the center and the spin is faster) That's why I drive one. Besides
I can spin and usually not even hit a cone! Lets see that in a front driver!

We can't all have the car that has the most potential in a class. We do all
need to complain a bit less about some other car that is!

Dan Morency