Re: re fiero reclassing

To: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>, "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: re fiero reclassing
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:55:27 -0500
>Mr. Bettencourt admits that there is not a classes difference in the cars
>and states that they were moved to increase the numbers of cars available
>run the class. Am I the only person that finds this logic flawed?

Several people have found fault with this logic and provided very good
reasons
that the car belongs in CS.  I'm one of the people who feels it was a good
move even if you skip demographics.

>Miata light (2200) and 130? HP can we see where they don't fit since the
1.8
>Miata's have seen a good fit in BS with only a few more hp (10?)

Try 116HP for the 1.6 and you're on the mark.  Now you're up to
24HP....which
I think it a fair amount on a car so light.

>car than all of them listed above we can also assume a good suspension
>system with great brakes.

How is the 1.6 Miata newer than a MKII MR2, early 90s 924/944, or Gen2 RX7?
You can assume a good suspension with good/great brakes on all of the above
cars.

>but separately class Miata's that are on the SAME unibody with only 10 hp
>difference!

I think this argument would go more in favor of saying that all MKI Miatas
should
be in CS than that the 1.6 should be in BS.

>the 4cyl fiero is a different discussion. people see 2 seats and assume
>sports car. It isn't, it was a commuter car with limited space and an
>underpowered 4 cylinder.

Did you ever work for GM?  The Fiero was a sports car that they got past
the bean counters by calling it a commuter car.  Sure, they did wonders with
the parts bins (from a money standpoint....definitely not from a performance
standpoint), but that car evolved every year away from any definition of
'commuter car' that you could come up with.

>assume for example that PAX numbers have some validity at all how can we
see
>a BMW 3 series go from BS to GS?

Because the 3 series was severly outclassed and fit better with GS?

>A basic civic was moved from ES to HS...
>why not the Fiero 4 cylinder?

Why did you end your email like this after starting off by saying you don't
care
where the car is classed?  Apparently your issue IS with the classing of the
Fiero.

If what Fiero owners have been saying is true, that Fiero drivers got
disgusted
and left to run Fiero club events, then they have no one to blame but
themselves.
Things have a much better chance of changing if you make a valid argument to
the SEB and SCAC via letter or email.  Get the FACTS (actual HP figures are
helpful), write your letter, and see what happens.

David Hawkins
86 Mr2 CSP in pieces