Re: re fiero reclassing

To: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>, "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: re fiero reclassing
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:21:36 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Morency <DMorency@gwi.net>
To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 6:23 AM
Subject: re fiero reclassing

> Miata light (2200) and 130? HP can we see where they don't fit since the
1.8
> Miata's have seen a good fit in BS with only a few more hp (10?)

<sarcasm ON>

I'd LOVE to find out where I can get one of those 130hp 1.6L Miatas.  Mine's
missing about 14hp or so.

<sarcasm OFF>

The correct figure is 116hp/105 lb-ft for a 1.6L Miata.  1.8L Miatas put out
128-140 hp depending on the year.  Weight is about right for '90-'93 Miatas
as you stated above; mine weighs 2270lb with driver in autocross trim.

> As a newer
> car than all of them listed above we can also assume a good suspension
> system with great brakes. We class F bodies with 200-300 horsepower and 3
> different unibodies the same (I wonder how much stiffer a 99 is than a 67)
> but separately class Miata's that are on the SAME unibody with only 10 hp
> difference!

WRONG!!  Same unibody, yes.  10hp more, yes (actually, 12-24 more, depending
on car).  But there are a number of other changes to the 1.8L cars that help
make them faster, such as wider wheels, different suspension tuning (on the
R/Sport/suspension package cars), and a Torsen LSD instead of the Slime
coupling (oops, viscous LSD, I mean) on the earlier cars.

Scot
'91 CS Miata - I only WISH it had 130hp!