re fiero reclassing

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re fiero reclassing
From: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:23:37 -0400
Wow!

I didn't expect to create such an uproar. My initial issue with my CS Fiero
vs was not reclassing it. DS CS who cares? I run about the same times as our
clubs D stock times. Course dependence is obvious.  My issue was with the
reclassification of the Miata 1.6's into CS from BS.

Mr. Bettencourt admits that there is not a classes difference in the cars
and states that they were moved to increase the numbers of cars available to
run the class. Am I the only person that finds this logic flawed?

I think that the Fiero is reasonably competitive in CS I have both won and
lost to 1st and second generation RX7's and MR2's. I've both won and lost to
924s's. Looks reasonable. All these cars are available in the same
approximate ages and show up on a regular basis to race. They have their
advantages and disadvantages to other cars in the class.

RX7's 1st gen light and smooth 115 hp no torque
MR2's ist gen about the same turn on a dime
RX7's 2nd gen heavier/more power and torque
MR2's 2nd gen grown as the RX7's did
Porsche 924S 2800 lbs 147 HP
Fiero V6 2800 lbs 140 hp also very wide!

Miata light (2200) and 130? HP can we see where they don't fit since the 1.8
Miata's have seen a good fit in BS with only a few more hp (10?) As a newer
car than all of them listed above we can also assume a good suspension
system with great brakes. We class F bodies with 200-300 horsepower and 3
different unibodies the same (I wonder how much stiffer a 99 is than a 67)
but separately class Miata's that are on the SAME unibody with only 10 hp
difference!

Newer cars have more power and better brakes on the norm. That's a natural
thing to happen, cars evolve for the better. A new v6 with 200HP should run
vs older V8's of similar power and torque vs being classed with other V8's
just to be closer to expected performance.

the 4cyl fiero is a different discussion. people see 2 seats and assume
sports car. It isn't, it was a commuter car with limited space and an
underpowered 4 cylinder. Almost all of the newer cars (commuters) have newer
vented disks and better and stronger engines.

I don't see a need to totally revamp the classing structure. I do however
see that there are some glaring problems that need to be addressed. If we
assume for example that PAX numbers have some validity at all how can we see
a BMW 3 series go from BS to GS? A basic civic was moved from ES to HS...
why not the Fiero 4 cylinder?

Dan Morency