Re: re fiero reclassing

To: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Subject: Re: re fiero reclassing
From: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:58:15 -0400
David, Can you read? I clearly stated that I have no problem with the V6 in
CS! I have problems with the flawed logic from Mr. Bettencourt that states
why the 1.6 Miata was moved, simple. He just resent me a rebuttal and stated
that my statement was incorrect except from the big picture. I was trying to
respond to his so called big picture because he previously stated that I he
was looking at the forest and we were focusing on the trees (Not seeing the
big picture) His big picture is out of focus.

Again AB stated the following:

<Dan,

<The 1.6 was moved not simply to have more cars in the class.  That
statement is
<true when looking at the big picture.  The big picture being that this SEB
<wanted an 'affordable sports car class' for the membership to have the
option of
<runniing in.  The 1.6 was put in there to 'freshen up' the mix of cars as
the
<majority got older and older.  Simple.

<AB

Freshening up a mix of cars should NOT be the intent of a classing decision.
Performance should be. He also previously stated that there was NOT a
difference of a full class in performance.

NOTE: the following is on a separate topic, the 4 cylinder Fiero's classing,
a subject championed by George Ryan

The 4 cylinder is a different issue. It's a pig for E stock, Again simple.

I feel that the SCCA does a great job and that we cannot all expect to not
have better suited or worse suited cars in a class. I just feel that they
should be similar in capabilities.

I'm glad that you feel that the Fiero 4 cylinder is a sports car, too bad
your opinion is incorrect. A front end slightly tweaked from a chevette and
a citation front end used in the rear wrapped in a plastic body on unibody
that weighs 400-450 lbs too much is not a sports car. The number of seats is
not the defining characteristic of a sports car.

I guess that you just can't differentiate 2 issues being discussed in a
single email. Next time I'll send two messages so that you won't get
confused.

Dan