Re: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous? (was Fiero classing)

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, <Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com>,
Subject: Re: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous? (was Fiero classing)
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 16:59:23 -0500

Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net> wrote:

> From: George Ryan <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
>

> >if one shows up in a
> >Neon in ES on day-one, he will probably be able to beat the competent
> >competitor with years of experience in an ES 2.5L Fiero after 2 or three
> >events.
>
> I'll take that bet.  You supply the ES 2.5L Fiero in good condition.  I'll
> drive it here for a season.  I'll buy the tires.  Then you send your
novice
> in his Neon.  I'll kick him.  And I am not that good.  A top driver like
> Tunnell  (either one of them) will clean his clock without any experience
in
> the Fiero.

Aren't you comparing apples and torque wrenches? Tunnell could walk the
course faster than a rookie in a Neon!!

I would love to take you up on that bet - I probably have a 4 cyl Fiero
around here somewhere (my wife thinks I grow them!), but I think that there
are just too many examples of a "car of the moment" showing up and doing
well with an unaccomplished driver against a far superior driver.
Example: My first year in autocrossing here in Tulsa, I showed up in a shiny
new Probe. A sheriff from Ft Smith AR (I think) and his wife were very
accomplished autocrossers in another brand (Japanese) car. They had won
GS for several years regionally. He beat me - badly - in the first event.

After 5 events. I had taken the GS championship from him that year - my
rookie year - regionally. He was still the better driver, but the classing
of my
car in a better handling, faster car allowed me to carry home the wood, so
to speak.

And that was not me, or my skills. That was having the "car of the moment"
for that year, in that class.